Thursday, March 3, 2011

What made me a journal writer for a time

In fall of 2009, I took a "Fall Block" semester at the Audubon Center of the North Woods. Throughout the entire semester, a significant portion of our grade (at least 40%, as I recall) was based on journal entries about what we learned, observed and/or concluded on every weekday. I feel that, due to the fact that the assignment revolved around the days themselves, putting it off would lead to forgetting important things that I would have observed. For the best grade, I had to write in it every day.

Before Fall Block, I was a superb procrastinator and mess-maker of rooms. With the importance of daily writing and reflection of Fall Block, I dissipated much of my procrastination. I also discovered that it is much easier to focus in a neat and tidy room, so I now make messes much less often and to a much lesser degree. It took some effort at the time, but now I have lost much of the habit of procrastination and have made a habit of keeping a living space fairly organized. Fewer possessions make it much easier.

If you need/want any more details or examples, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. My will to get a good grade came from two sources- one of which was a promise I made to myself to get straight A's for at least a semester, the other was the knowledge that it was my last year at college, and that I should make it both memorable and beneficial.

    ReplyDelete